Quote:

Dram,tell me something new.Why does a stock 360 crank hold 450 hp and not this cast crank?I have never a stock crank breaking but I could be wrong.back to the topic I had one of the cast when they first came out and my block let go before the crank did.After twisting 2 h-beams the crank was still good.i was running [Email]10.50@3400[/Email] pound car.if I was building a few motor I would do the steel crank.

i don't have a definitive answer for you. i've seen plenty of broken cast cranks over my 34+ years in this business. there are a lot of places the blame could be placed, so take your pic.
bad cranks/ castings
bad balance job, internal vs. external
bad damper
heavy bobweights
and the list goes on and on.
some cranks seem to survive, others don't.
i do recommend moving up to a forged crank when your plans exceed 450 hp. that 450 hp might be fine, but what happens when you start making other improvements and then your at 500, or 550 or even more. plan ahead. it's cheaper in the long run to buy the better crankshaft up front IMO unless it's just going to be a slightly warmed over stock type build. i understand about working within a budget, but you don't ask for temporary fillings (i.e. cheaper) when you go to the dentist, so don't ask for a temporary crankshaft when you build your bracket motor.

Last edited by DRAM_Perf_Only; 03/09/10 02:34 PM.