Those were the peak numbers recorded on the run but the dyno operator was backing off the load since the torque gauge needle was pegged. My guess is that the motor would've made a little more power on a SuperFlow or DTS setup that was capable of more power. On the other hand, we might have just blown the bottom end out of the block if we had loaded it hard for another 1000 rpm.

Jim - actually the roller cam has less duration at 50 and 200 than the MM305 flat tappet. I'm pretty sure it has more duration at 300 lift and above though but I didn't measure those points. I think this is just an example where the published cam info doesn't really convey the full picture.

Actual numbers on the camshaft: MM305 intake lobe is 305/279/197 for the seat duration, 050 duration and 200 duration. This roller cam was a 1722 intake lobe which is 308/275/195 so a tiny bit bigger on the seat but a tiny bit smaller on the 50 and 200 duration. These cam lobes were selected to have identical duration to the flat tappet but more lift. That was one of the things I was interested in looking at.

Of course, it isn't apples to apples since I used a 1.50 rocker arm with the MM305 and a 1.70 rocker arm with the roller. The bigger rocker arm ratio gets the valve open sooner so the valve sees more duration.

Last edited by AndyF; 04/01/08 12:07 PM.