Hey john, I found this pdf somewhere, it's got an exploded view and parts breakdown for the a-500 trans. I will buy the correct manual, but for now this is something to look at and should be fairly close to the 518...

Now when you add an extra clutch/steel to the OD direct clutch pack, do any mods need to be done or will the extra clutch/steel go right in?

Also when you say you can mod to add an extra clutch/steel to the OD clutch pack in the rear of the main case, are you talking about the clutch pack this pdf diagram refers to as the "rear clutch"? Then the pressure plate it refers to as part "20" needs to be milled down by the thickness of an extra clutch/steel?

Also do you have any info on the drilling of the holes in the od shaft? Do you drill the holes in only the one shaft? Do you know to what size, or just the next size up?

I saw the sonnax rear piston setup for sale and it's not expensive at all so if it's a good idea I'll go for it.

Also, will a 727 governor kit work? Reason I ask is crt sells a 5800rpm governor kit for a 727 that I would really like.

As you can tell I'm a transmission newbie but not afraid to learn. Just want to do a half way decent job of setting this thing up the first time.

5654123-518manual.PDF (199 downloads)