Quote:

Seems like every old mopar I ride or drive in, they just vibrate (sort of like worn out U-joints).
My AAR does the same, and I hate the junker feeling it conveys when driving it...
Just sitting (not moving) the steering wheel/column just resonates when running the engine through various speeds...
Every time I talk about this with my friends, it seems like it's an accepted fact.
I can't stand it anymore - other than the obvious, what are some things I can do to smooth my car out?

Depending on your model year, you are in a 35-40 year old car. That's what they feel like...
You are use to modern cars and there is no comparing them (fairly) to one another...

Regardless...

For mopars dated up until 1972 you have to remember that the steering gearbox bolts directly to a steel K frame which bolts directly to a steel frame. So there is NO isloation between tire vibration, engine vibration and the steering gearbox to steering column. The result is
you feel everything with your hands on the column.
And no set of tires/alignment/wheel balancing
or sound proofing can fix this... Its the basic design.... and it is antiquated...

So no matter what you do, you cannot smooth out this feel in the steering wheel.

In 1973 (Take a charger for example)...
The K frame gets isolated from the front sub frame, and the column gets isolated from the gearbox... this is a big improvement in terms of "feel" at the steering wheel. But it is still not on par with cars of today, where you feel almost nothing... in say a Camry or an Accord or
just about any sizeable new car.

If you want to change the "old junker" feeling.
I suggest you try a modern sound deadener.
My recommendation would be a combination of 2 products Damplifier Pro followed by a layer of
Luxury Liner Pro... This stuff installed inside your doors, your entire bare floor pan from backseat to front firewall AND the roof skin.
As well as the trunk floor.

This will kill 80-90% of the sound/vibrations you hear and feel. You will be amazed at how solid the car will feel. But it will not correct 2 things... wind noise off of the front pillars/vent windows- which went away in 71-73 I believe, and that vibration you feel at the steering wheel.

Most mopar guys don't like this sound proofing stuff because it does add weight to the car and
does not look factory especially in the trunk.
It is also expensive and a little time consuming to put it.

However ,having done it... I would strongly recommend it... I was pleasantly surprised....

I have a 70 Coronet btw...

Best of luck to you!