Quote:

Polling the Mopar group for feedback in their experience with the VooDoo cams. Mine is not so satisfying.... Built a new 440 over the winter, 10.2 real cc'd compression, 440 Source heads, CH4B intake, 800 Thunder carb. 60303 VooDoo degree'd in at 105 1966 Coronet sedan 4 speed 3.91's Broken in properly. The engine (cam) is a pig on the bottom, comes on about 2500rpm and then seems to peak at approx. 4k and falls on it's face. A friend also installed same cam (yes degree'd in at the reccomended 106) in a fairly fresh 440 (10.3:1 cc's compression) 727 auto car with 3.23's and it acts/repsonds about the same way, pig on the bottom (car hardly brake torque the tires loose) comes on approx. 2500 rpm and then falls on it's face around 4k. We are pretty disappointed. Did much research for 9 months or more, read the limited feedback that was available and thought we had a winner here. You would think (and from previous experience) that a fresh 440 (both of ours) would roast the tires at will. What gives? I will be puling mine out and replacing it this winter. Not sure with what yet. Anyway other shared experiences would be appreciated...

I run the 60303 cam in my low CR 440 and it does well. Just ask the kid at work who was grin from ear to ear on saturday when I drove my car to work and did a hard launch(no brakes, just throttle to the floor) right in front of him and left a wall of smoke behind me. I too am running 440source heads w/ the valve springs that came with them. Cheapie headers and for now a stock spreadbore dual plane intake with a thermoquad. Stock 727, stock converter and suregrip w/ 3.55 gears. When I nail the throttle hard from a stop, it breaks both rear tires loose and the back end goes sideways. I would say peak torq is 4000rpm with this cam in my combo, but it still pulls good to 5500. I would expect better top end and mid-range from your 10:1 440.

I do find mine loves a ton of initial ignition advance, the more the better. But I attributed that to having this cam with a low CR, not to the cam design itself. I think my combo with a 3000rpm converter and 4.10's would really make it haul in the bottom end and that's in the plans.

If my low CR 440 can do well with this cam, then if your 10:1 440 isn't a ground-pounder with this cam something is wrong, and I doubt it's the cam. FWIW I spent a fair amount of time tinkering with the distributor and I know it's not ideal yet. Also I tune with a wideband o2.

Have you done a compression check? Where are your numbers at?