Quote:

putting a 2.261 gear in a muscle car that you spent all kinds of $$$ building a 408 storker is like neutering your prize race horse because you want him to live longer.... if you wanted MPG's you could have just rebuilt a 318 and used a 2bbl throttle body.

I love the idea of cubes and tall gears. GM did it with the previous generation Camaros. 5.7L with a 0.50 overdrive. 25-30 mpg and 13 second quarters.

Small engines can't be run down the highway with tall overdrives. Most 4 cyl cars are above 3000rpm on the highway.

Plus a 318 and a 2 barrel would be gutless compared to Dmercs combo. Power and mileage, that's a goal worth chasing.

Quote:

curious as to why you did not run 34 with 11 vacuum added on to achive the same cruise advance but have a little more WOT for more performance???

Magnums engines will not take advance like the LA headed engines. I've run my best times in my 5.9 Magnum at 30 deg total.

Great work Dmerc. Your 408 has surpassed my best MPG of 23. With some similarities. I'm also Magnum headed but with stock cubes, 360. Also overdriven but with 5 speed manual and 3.55's.
In a truck plagued with poor aerodynamics but as you I also firmly believe in vacuum advance. I run 18 vacuum on top of my 30 mechanical for a total of 48.

Keep us posted on your 1/4 mile results. I predict you will have no problems surpassing 14's.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super