I talked with Larry Sheppard back in the early '90's about gear choice for a FED. He told me 3.5 was the optimium gear choice for the kind of motor I was running. I told him I had a 3.9 and a 4.10 with no money to try anything else at the moment. Told me to use the 3.9, but the 3.5 gear would be the answer.

You have a larger motor that makes more torque and hp earlier. So I think with 32 or 33" tires a 3.5 gear would be like the 3.9 gear I was using. It got the job done, but I was not effectively geared for the last 100 feet or so. I don't think the converter is the problem. The car is light and hooks. More convertor would get you near a 1 second 60 foot or better. I never got to try my 730 hp 440 and 5600 convertor in the digger. I sold the car last April after 20 years.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!