Quote:

Yes, however your ram has a lockup converter, as did the later 318 powered cars. Take a stock 60's 3sp trans, stick a 2.2 rear gear into it and at cruise speed on the highway your rpms will be so low that the converter is slipping.

He said he was going to use a
Quote:

A-500 trans

Thats a lock up torque converter trans same as my Ram. Dave I messed around with my Ram today watching the tach and my speed in OD with a load of firewood in the back. 10-15% uphill grade at 1800 rpm in OD at around 57 mph and it was fine. Wasn't losing any speed. Was pulling fine. I like the consesus here that you need to put it between 1800-2000 at your normal cruising speed. Dave if you could get your hands on a 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 that would bolt in it that would be instant mpg bonus versus the heavier 8 3/4. Lightweight aluminium wheels sounds like a good idea too. What year did the Dippys and 5th Aves get roller cam motors? Theres a 86 I believe here next to my house I been thinking about getting for the K-member on the cheap. I need to come down to Tenn anyhow and see Defeo, guy owes me twenty bucks!