Quote:

Since I don't have an ohmmeter, will a digital multi-meter work?

Doesn't your multi-meter include a setting with the greek letter Omega on it? That would be resistance (measured in ohms). Most do.

If not, all you need to do is confirm when there is or isn't continuity. A wire hooked to a 12 volt source and a test light would work just as well. If you use this method, remember that the CENTER PIN will be grounded (i.e. a DEAD SHORT) in certain gears. Do NOT touch your 12 volt source to the center pin, or any other ground. EVER. Power one outside pin (doesn't matter which one) with 12 volts. In each gear, test the other outside pin with the test light. When it lights - you have continuity. No light = open circuit.

Alternate alternate testing method. Read no further if you get confused, and stick with the stuff above. If you want to remove the risk of a dead short from clipping around with a 12 volt source, do the test backwards, with the 12 volt source hooked into the test light, and the other outboard pin clipped instead to ground. Wherever the probe lights, you have a ground. As above, test for continuity in each gear.

But I bet your multi-meter has a resistance setting...

Down to just a blue car now.