Quote:

The other issue I had was all the afternarket heater cores have slightly shorter water supply tubes so ewhen you bolt the heater box up to the firewall the tubes only stick throught about .5" you could make it work but it's marginal at best... I looked for an NOS heater core with no lucky, considered having my original recored but instead I cut about 3" of the orignal tubes off an old core, swaged them open slightly so they would slide over standard 5/8 tubing than cut 1.5" off my new core, next I had the guy at the radiator shop solder the extensions onto my new core... Now about 1.25" extend out of the firewall...

I wish I had known about this little trick a year ago... I rebuilt my heater box and used a heater core from the auto parts store. I "assumed" everything would be the same fit. I was still able to get the hoses on but it was a real pain to get those spring clamps on with it being so close to the firewall. I would test fit what you have then make the call. Next time my heater box has to come out I will definitely extend those pipes.

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

5252901-DCP01709.JPG (292 downloads)