I have several old mags and have yet to see Flatheads swapped into anything other than ford,lincoln,mercury. Tons of other Crossbreeds for sure. My dad has never spoke of such a swap either. He still does it to this day. He did say it was easier getting the ford to fit in the 51 Shoebox than it was the chevy in the 50 Shoebox. 49-51 are the same platform. Ill ask him but really havent heard of it. All other motors took less to get more HP out of them. I recall him saying the lincoln v-12s were crap and guys swapped in the ford/merc flatty because it was better. That Truck would be sweet with a 440/4spd

Quote:

Quote:

I dont recall Ford Flatheads going in any chevys or any other make. What cars did you see with Flatties?

If you look in old rod mags (Abe Lincoln old, not Mopar Ron old ) you'll see alot of flatheads, Nailheads, Caddy and Lincoln engines swapped into darn near everything. It wasn't really till the 60's/70's you started seeing the SBC as the "cookie cutter" rod motor of "choice". And, as Frieburger predicted shortly after the intro of the 5.7L HEMI, we are now seeing something of a surge in that direction. Fact is, whether we like it or not the origination (is that a real word or did I just commit a sin against the English language. Maybe it's a Canadian word! ) of rodding was just that. Take grandpa's Model A and stuff a big Caddy engine in it from the JY. Take Uncle Willy's 38 Buick and stuff a HEMI in it cause there was one under a tarp at the neighbour's place. With today's availability of engines, transmissions, adapters and speed parts, there is no limit but your imagination. In all honesty, I have less of an issue with 85 Ram's BBC transplant than the dude with the 57. EVERYONE seems to be putting SBC motivation into their old iron. It takes someone truly twisted to do that to a vehicle none of us would consider remotely classic or collectible!

5256163-50frd.jpg (76 downloads)
Last edited by 76dodgeboy; 05/27/09 06:29 PM.