This is one of my favorite years of the older Dodge trucks

Reminds me of LASSIE !!!!

But, before we give him too many kudo's
He put a damm drippy shivvy in it

Boooooooooooo

Attached picture 5246106-dodge57.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/22/09 05:43 PM

Well, ya know Chevy engines are so much cheaper and more reliable than anything else . . . .

Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/22/09 05:54 PM

Bigdad, I took this picture at MATS this year, its a very nice truck too. and if you look to the left of this truck there was a very,very nice copper brown truck but when I seen the chevy engine in it I refused to take a picture of it I cant believe he went to a mopar show and was so proud his truck has a chevy in it that he opened the hood

I controlled myself and didn't say anything to him, I wanted to ask him why he built a nice dodge truck and then went with a chevy instead of a mopar engine. but just walked away. Ron...

Posted By: bigdad

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/22/09 06:15 PM

Yeah, makes me shake my head too ..

I know where there is a short box 58 like the one you posted with a sweptline box

Its kinda rough but, it can be had kinda cheap
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/23/09 03:49 AM

Those dodge trucks look fantastic, but I really like the rusty one

Sadly..it's not the first nice dodge truck we will see with a chevy boat anchor in it and it wont be the last.

Chevrolet engines in mopars?? It doesnt make sense to use one to me because of the abundant supply of either really cheap or free 318 engines

I do get alot of crap for it but Im a chrysler purist when it comes to running chrysler engines
in anything mopar, from really old to newer stuff.

There was a really sweet '46 plymouth coupe at the farmington mopar show and under hood was...
a shivy

By building a mopar you are being different, so why ruin it with a run of the mill engine??
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/23/09 01:22 PM

Quote:

This is one of my favorite years of the older Dodge trucks

Reminds me of LASSIE !!!!

But, before we give him too many kudo's
He put a damm drippy shivvy in it

Boooooooooooo

I saw that on on the HAMB,I love the stance of the truck.He has it sitting on a chevy frame clip and rear axle too.57's are cool with the recessed headlamps.
RT
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/23/09 05:02 PM

57's are my favorite 50's truck as well. I just love the headlights and hood treatment. It would only take a day to swap a real engine into that primered one. It sure sits right.

Sheldon
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/24/09 04:11 AM

How do you get in a mopar show with a chevy motor . Ive heard of a guy that had a Toyota truck with a 440 That tried to enter it in a mopar show but was turned away and the same show allowed chevy powered Mopars . He called it TOYPAR
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/24/09 04:21 AM

Quote:

He called it TOYPAR

IIRC, he used to be a member here. How is he doing these days?
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/24/09 06:09 PM

Get over it, its a nice truck either way. Pay him the sum he wants and then do what you want with it.

BTW Bigdad, thanks for posting, it sure looks great.
Posted By: GOT6PAK

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 03:46 AM

Come on, Chevy motor in a Mopar?

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 06:29 AM

Quote:

Look at 85 RAM 383's avatar...I'm thinking his 383 is not a B-engine!

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 03:28 PM

I have a 52 Dodge pickup that has been discraced aswell. Got it that way. But will be putting a 318/360 in.

Attached picture 5253151-Dodgevoyage190.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 04:34 PM

cool truck, whens he going to fix the rust?

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I love . And the cu. in. just grew today by 71, and will probably get bigger. Have fun guys, its just a hobby....

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 08:14 PM

I have a lead on a front clip too cause mine needs it

Attached picture 5253652-Dodgevoyage179.JPG

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 09:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I love . And the cu. in. just grew today by 71, and will probably get bigger. Have fun guys, its just a hobby....

454 now, eh? Not often I meet a Chevy guy with a liking for Dodge pickups. Usually the ones I meet say they think that the engines were good, but the bodies were ugly. Go figure!

So, how's it fit?

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 10:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

454 now, eh? Not often I meet a Chevy guy with a liking for Dodge pickups. Usually the ones I meet say they think that the engines were good, but the bodies were ugly. Go figure!

So, how's it fit?

Posted By: GOT6PAK

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/26/09 11:18 PM

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 11:07 AM

Quote:

So, how's it fit?

Thanks for asking. Just got the engine yesterday, so i am not sure. I know it'll bolt up just fine, but the brake booster and headers are a concern. The small block fit like it was supposed to be there. Didnt even have to ding a header tube to fit---i am sure the big block wont be the same though.

Listen guys, i am not here to convert anyone. If ten years ago you'd told me i'd be doing this i would have laughed you off. It is my vehicle and my choice, and most of you are doing/acting percisely what i figured you would--but thats your choice to act like a 12 year old. I enjoy my hobby, its not my life like some of you. And for god sakes, its just a piece of machinery. What do you think the early hot rodders did--how many flathead fords got put into other vehicles. And later with buick and caddy engines. This stuff has been going on forever, like it or not.

I also never see anyone cry when a hemi is put into anything---funny how it only works one way here.

Parts are cheap in chevy land and that was a big choice here. I love when i can buy stuff at half to 1/3 the cost at a swap meet over mopar stuff. I laugh all the way to the bank thinking how much i saved. If it makes you all feel any better, i am still running a 833 4 speed, and i didnt cut up the truck to get any of this done--it all bolts in---AND could be returned back to stock just as easy. Well, have a great day guys, enjoy your day and have fun turning those wrenches on your projects and keep the hobby alive, i know i will. See you around the forums.

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 05:59 PM

I dont recall Ford Flatheads going in any chevys or any other make. What cars did you see with Flatties?
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 06:59 PM

Cool truck, but it sure is dying to have a 360 and 727 dropped in there!

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 08:31 PM

Quote:

I dont recall Ford Flatheads going in any chevys or any other make. What cars did you see with Flatties?

If you look in old rod mags (Abe Lincoln old, not Mopar Ron old ) you'll see alot of flatheads, Nailheads, Caddy and Lincoln engines swapped into darn near everything. It wasn't really till the 60's/70's you started seeing the SBC as the "cookie cutter" rod motor of "choice". And, as Frieburger predicted shortly after the intro of the 5.7L HEMI, we are now seeing something of a surge in that direction. Fact is, whether we like it or not the origination (is that a real word or did I just commit a sin against the English language. Maybe it's a Canadian word! ) of rodding was just that. Take grandpa's Model A and stuff a big Caddy engine in it from the JY. Take Uncle Willy's 38 Buick and stuff a HEMI in it cause there was one under a tarp at the neighbour's place. With today's availability of engines, transmissions, adapters and speed parts, there is no limit but your imagination. In all honesty, I have less of an issue with 85 Ram's BBC transplant than the dude with the 57. EVERYONE seems to be putting SBC motivation into their old iron. It takes someone truly twisted to do that to a vehicle none of us would consider remotely classic or collectible!

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 10:29 PM

I have several old mags and have yet to see Flatheads swapped into anything other than ford,lincoln,mercury. Tons of other Crossbreeds for sure. My dad has never spoke of such a swap either. He still does it to this day. He did say it was easier getting the ford to fit in the 51 Shoebox than it was the chevy in the 50 Shoebox. 49-51 are the same platform. Ill ask him but really havent heard of it. All other motors took less to get more HP out of them. I recall him saying the lincoln v-12s were crap and guys swapped in the ford/merc flatty because it was better. That Truck would be sweet with a 440/4spd

Quote:

Quote:

If you look in old rod mags (Abe Lincoln old, not Mopar Ron old ) you'll see alot of flatheads, Nailheads, Caddy and Lincoln engines swapped into darn near everything. It wasn't really till the 60's/70's you started seeing the SBC as the "cookie cutter" rod motor of "choice". And, as Frieburger predicted shortly after the intro of the 5.7L HEMI, we are now seeing something of a surge in that direction. Fact is, whether we like it or not the origination (is that a real word or did I just commit a sin against the English language. Maybe it's a Canadian word! ) of rodding was just that. Take grandpa's Model A and stuff a big Caddy engine in it from the JY. Take Uncle Willy's 38 Buick and stuff a HEMI in it cause there was one under a tarp at the neighbour's place. With today's availability of engines, transmissions, adapters and speed parts, there is no limit but your imagination. In all honesty, I have less of an issue with 85 Ram's BBC transplant than the dude with the 57. EVERYONE seems to be putting SBC motivation into their old iron. It takes someone truly twisted to do that to a vehicle none of us would consider remotely classic or collectible!

Attached picture 5256163-50frd.jpg

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/27/09 10:58 PM

Yep...a 440 4-spd would be cool...but I'd almost bet that he paid less for the 454 than a BB car bellhousing...

Can't argue with you, and it would be pointless, but I do have an issue around here somewhere from the mid-50's and one of the feature cars was GM product with a flathead in it. I also recall a close friend's dad saying they pulled the flattie out of one of his Grandpa's old trucks and threw it into an old Dodge sedan body they were given. For sure, it wasn't necessarily the mainstream thing to do, but it was done.

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/28/09 12:03 AM

I won't make anymore comments on 85 ram 383 truck and his choice of engine, we have PM'ed and he knows how I feel about chevys in a mopar,he explained to me why he went that way and I let him know I never would do that to a mopar
my signature says it all
his truck, his decision. I just hope that some day he puts it back to a mopar,and uses the chevys in a chevy

now back to the cool looking 57 at the begining of this thread. I would drive that, and keep the hood shut till i could change it to a mopar drivetrain.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/28/09 12:21 AM

Would I put a shivvy in a Mopar ? NO !!!

I would not cross bread any brand though
thats just me

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/28/09 02:12 AM

Quote:

now back to the cool looking 57 at the begining of this thread. I would drive that, and keep the hood shut till i could change it to a mopar drivetrain.

Too funny. Might need to find a new way to check the oil, though!

If I had known 15 years ago the position that I would be in now, I can sure tell you I wouldn't have given away the one I had...if only I had seen the light sooner!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/29/09 02:03 AM

I have been on the end of cross breading engines into cars/trucks they were never factory installed in. I put a 318 into an early 60s chevy pickup. A 318 into an 80 Jeep J-10. A sbc into an Opel GT. Even had a 454 hanging over the engine bay of a 65 Coronet, but would have had to change too many things, that Coronet never forgave us, even though it ended up with a 440 4 speed. I helped a guy put a 383 (Mopar) into a 64 Chevy II, that one was tight. I also put a 318 into a Pontiac Lemans. We put a Pinto (I think) 4 banger into an early Fiat sedan once.

I'm sure there are more, but that was what was off the top on my head. When your broke, you have the parts laying around, and you need the car to go to work, you do what needs to be done. I have to say, some swaps go so easy one might think they are suppose to happen. Then there are always those guys that do something just to make someone mad. Think I may have even done that once or twice......

Being a Mopar guy, mostly there are just Mopars around here, so most off bread swaps involve a Mopar drive train, but as the supply dwindles, who knows what may happen. Gene
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 05/29/09 02:33 AM

BB mopars are not cheap to build for sure but BB chevy's are not cheap either.

Been thinking about doing a '50 chevy 3100 with a modified 225 slant six ..one day
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/01/09 05:00 AM

Quote:

1994 to 2001 ram grille would fit nicely over that screen door mesh

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/01/09 07:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oooooooooooooooooo...That's a neat idea!
Posted By: bohmer2

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/01/09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Bigdad, I took this picture at MATS this year, its a very nice truck too.

I ran across one of these over the weekend, Aero or some of the other southern Missouri/Northern Ark members may know where it sits. There is an "dealer" of fine antique rust buckets just outside of Doniphan, MO that had one of these. He also had a couple of other interesting rides include a four door desoto with some of the finest looking door/quarter fins I have ever seen.
If I can get the camera from the wife I will post some of the photos.

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/02/09 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Its a 50s Buick Grill not screen mesh and I dont think a newer dodge grill would look good. Itll get stock or something pre 60s

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/07/09 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its a 50s Buick Grill not screen mesh and I dont think a newer dodge grill would look good. Itll get stock or something pre 60s

Humor us and see if you can find one to borrow or Photochop one in and just see how it looks???
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/08/09 02:17 AM

Bohmer2, doesn't your dad have a 56 panel with a late 90s Ram grill in it? You have any pictures, cause I know I don't. Gene
Posted By: bohmer2

Re: 1957 Dodge HOT ROD pickup ! - 06/08/09 02:59 PM

Quote:

Bohmer2, doesn't your dad have a 56 panel with a late 90s Ram grill in it? You have any pictures, cause I know I don't. Gene

Yeah my dad has the yellow 49 Dodge Panel with the mid 90's Ram grill. I will have to track down a copy of some of the photos and scan it. I dont think I have anything digital on it. Dad is a lurker on here and may read this and have one scanned already that he can post.

Dad's panel is a Volare K-member small block that has some glass work up front near the grill as it was cracking at one point in time.

It was also in Mopar Action (I think it was action) about 10 years ago or more?) at one point in time but I cant remember which year or issue.
© 2024 Moparts Forums