Originally Posted by A12
Do a little research, listen to the real life situations that the farmers and construction guys have been put in and then get back to us.

I don't need to "do a little research", I have and I've personally delt with it working for 34+ years for a motorcycle manufacturer and distributor. About a decade ago they came after the motorcycle industry and mainly Harley-Davidson. It was pretty one sided and driven by "Class Action" lawyers like you see every night and day on the tube. All it took was a few of these independent motorcycle repair shops to whine to LAWYERS about not having access to proprietary HD diagnostic equipment and the ball and whine was rolling. It's easy to paint the manufacturers as the bad guys but what about their local multi staffed and factory trained service, parts and sale's personnel at the local dealership? Those dealerships have to feed their families and pay their bills too. THERE IS NO LAW THAT WOULD KEEP YOU FROM WORKING ON YOUR BRAND NEW JOHN DEERE TRACTOR. The only thing affected is the warranty. If you want to haul a brand new JD piece of equipment back to the farm and pull the motor or take apart your GPS don't worry, you're not going to have the sheriff knocking on the barn door any time. The lawyers are NOT doing this for the farmers, they know and have known for decades how service work policies and warranties on their John Deere equipment works and if it was so restrictive they would move on to another brand.....that other brands most likely have the same policy restrictions. I live surrounded by farmland and I see them working on whatever they need to and can handle from ruptured hydraulic hoses to headers with a problem but not anything like fixing a non-working GPS or two-way radio or a broken piston but they could if they had the time or skill. JD can't stop them. It's the high tech and expensive electronic diagnostics and programing equipment that these independent shops want access to at no cost to them so they can make money without expense to them.Not so much the farmers unless they have their own repair shop. To me it's not the issue the greedy "class action" lawyer(s) make it out to be for the farmers but for benefit of independent service shops. I'll walk across the yard as they start plowing and planting here soon as to how big of an issue this "right-to-repair" really is for them then I can loan them a tool or two when they have an issue?

Access to that will not be at no expense to the small repair shop I can assure you as they will have to buy it from somebody. might also want to look at Ruderunners post as that is as much if not a bigger part of the problem.
the reason I never bought a deere is I could get more for less elsewhere. In addition many I know that did buy NEW deere equipment had more problems than all the others combined twocents