Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
The Mr. Gasket MLS gaskets I put on dry before the last dyno session showed indications of fluid seepage, even though they are coated and supposed to not need anything else. When I put the heads back on, I switched to Cometics and used the Mopar spray-on sealer the dealers used when replacing all the blown-out Dodge Neon head gaskets with MLS years ago. The heads' gasket surface are definitely smooth enough for MLS, but the block deck may not be and I didn't want to take another chance with leaks.
I remember reading this with yours and maybe a couple others using that Mr, Gasket headgasket. I play with headgasket assemblies very often and have evolved my 'process' to use small films of easily displaceable sealers around water. Permatex pipe-dough etc. I have used that same 'failure-prone' gasket a few times and have had 100% success. IIRC the Mr. Gasket one lacks raised beads around some cooling areas? But again, use what you are comfortable with! I wasn't going to chime-in because I knew there'd be many techniques and obviously they'll vary with what I do out of respect for abilities. One of the main reasons for me is like DVW has mentioned is typically you get that sealing film delaminating in areas so when you start stacking up overlapping 'hanging chads' you'll get a recipe for a leak. I have never thrown out a MLS gasket, always reusing them. Respectfully, Sean