Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Do you think it's because of people skipping out on insurance they used to buy, more people making claims to "get free money" wink wink nudge nudge, or gov regulations hurting profits, or ???

Most companies have not yet figured out how to price for the current market conditions. Vehicle values, repair costs, length of repairs and the corresponding increase in rental car expenses, etc. have made pricing a nightmare. Companies are losing money, some of them a lot of money, and the quick and dirty fix is to cut costs. But that's a bandage on a bullet wound. Until they figure out how to price correctly, they'll continue to lose money, and consumers will bear the brunt of it.

Its not just in the auto end. Had a roof claim this yr. I had inspected it and knew it would be a full replacement based on age, condition and amount of damage. Add in the shingles were no longer being made.
The estimated roof replacement was 18k. My house isn't large. When I left the insurance industry in 2020 the cost would have been 7.5k. Anyways over the course of the 18 yrs I've been insured with SF I barely paid more than 18k in premiums. Repair cost, materials in auto and homeowners is going to cause some significant increases in premiums.

Ok