Unlike your typical body shop, I get to pick and choose what I repair. No structural issues for me. Don't need it, don't want it.

I stick with primarily bolt-on side and rear damaged panels. And almost never buy stuff hit in the front. Just too much to deal with there and front panels can be nearly impossible to find used. Especially when shopping for the right color. The only deviation from that is the occasional deer impact where the front damage is superficial. But even then, that is rare for me.

Of late, I have been focusing on hail cars. I shop far and wide for replacement panels that are the right color. They are cheaper, take far less time, and what's better than factory metal and paint?

Theft recoveries are another area that I frequent. If the column and a door glass/door assembly is the whole story; I'm in if the money's right. I did several Kias and Hyundais last year. But columns can be difficult to find for them given all the thefts.

The luxury of getting to pick what I work on and not having any time crunches or other entities (other than the state) to satisfy, it might be closer to a hobby than a business anymore. I only do a couple of units a month now. I describe myself as semi-retired. If I had to put up with what the body shops do, I would have stayed in the mines. Better money and bennies. But the mine schedule can be grueling. And I always HATED midnight shift.

The owner of the body shop here in town that did my quarter panel repairs is totally burned out. We helped him get this rebuilder license last year. He figures he needs 5 more years doing what he is doing and then chucking it and going to just rebuilding for pretty much the same reasons that I did.

Being a rebuilder can be a really good gig for someone that is self motivated. But like every 'good gig', there are valid reasons that everybody doesn't do it.

Master, again and still