Originally Posted by not_a_charger
We just went through this with a customer here in Illinois. The initial estimate would have totalled the vehicle. We helped him shop used parts and such and he turned in an estimate that allowed them to compensate him for that estimate and he retained the clear title. The accident will still show up, but the title is unbranded and never left his possession.

Then it wasn't a total. shruggy

The insurance company has no say in the title branding requirements and no say regarding retention of salvage. If the car is a total, the insurance company is not going to circumvent state law regarding title branding requirements just to satisfy a customer. They may negotiate the outcome of the claim, sure, as your example indicates. But if it's a total, they're following state law regarding the title. They can get in a LOT of trouble if they don't.

They aren't supposed too but a friend of mine is going thru this w/Grundy. I've given him all the info he and his attorney need regarding his car. Handled TL's for close to 20 yrs in Ohio. The car is appraised at 78k. They are saying its a total with only 37k in damages. He did have the car underinsured by a lot(only 40k). Instead of paying out the limits they want to subtract the 13 k salvage value from his limits and pay 27k and no salvage title. In Ohio his car doesn't meet the definition of a TL. It's not based on coverage but the value of the car. Last I heard they filed suit for bad faith.

Ok