Many years back I always bought a winter beater. But they were beaters, not something from down South. My every day driver was a 65 Satellite and I was NOT going to drive that in the crap during winters. (Still have the Satellite!)

As has already been mentioned here, it's easy to get spoiled with more current vehicle features. Then looking at new car prices I decided it best to try and make my 2008 vintage vehicle last a bit more. Bought an 88 5th Avenue 4 years ago for $1200. It had about 90K on it. Figured if it lasted me two years it didn't owe me anything. The darn thing is still running and it doesn't bother me a bit to take it out on the worst of days. Always starts, engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and the transmission is one of the best shifting automatics I've ever owned. The grand kids love to rid in it and even call it grandpa's beater.

More than once I've thought of pulling the engine/trans for another project car, but just can't bring myself to do it. Once in a while I'll look at rust free stuff out of state and figure I could just drive the Chrysler there, close the deal, scrap the Chrysler and drive the new prize home. I just know I'd get there and not be able to bring myself to scrap the Chrysler.

Last edited by peabodyracing; 12/27/23 12:51 PM.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way