Originally Posted by Kelob_pie
Hi Guys-
Been a long time since I've been on here. Finally getting back to my projects.
Anyways, I have a beater 71 Charger 383 that I bought maybe 10 years ago. So I finally got it road worthy, installed new front end pieces.
New QA1 upper and lower control arms, QA1 tie rod ends, QA1 strut rods, new shocks, ball joints, etc. New Borgeson steering box and pitman arm/tie rod as well.... new tires wheels as well......
So I took it to the alignment shop and we gave it -.5 degrees per side of negative camber, and plus 3.5 of caster. 1/16th of toe in...
Drove nicely on a flat road near the alignment shop. Big thumbs up.
Trailered it home and wanted to show off to my daughter what a nice driving machine this was, and I hit some minor bumps and grooves on the road and this thing is all over!!!!!!!
MAJOR bump steer! The only thing that I question is when I installed everything, my center link was not parallel to the street anymore due to the pitman arm being lower than my idler arm. I didn't think anything at the time because I thought "no big deal, everything is on ball joints"
So, could this be causing bump steer???????
Thanks for any info!

Your idler arm is not a ball joint. It's a plain bearing that only rotates around one axis. If your centerlink is angled, the idler has some binding. May not be that apparent in resistance, but will wear things wrong and change the bumpsteer because the inner tie rod is moved up or down from stock.

You have the wrong pitman or idler in your car. I did that once putting an E-body pitman I had laying around in an A-body. The centerlink was angled. OR your Borgeson steering box is tilting your pitman the wrong way OR the splines on the output shaft are moving you pitman into the wrong place (was a common issue with the 1st units)

Last edited by autoxcuda; 03/20/24 11:27 AM.