Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by calrobb2000

hi

why does everyone think they have to have electronic ignition ?

i do a fair amount of dist rebuilds , and recurves for performance / race engines . < have sun and allen dist tester>

i have some points dist that have been in use for 10 years , driven on weekends regulary and never been back for readjustment .

points are reliable ! must be properly installed !

single points easly run 6000 rpm plus , doul points 7000 .

chrysler and others accel / Mallory ect offered points for higher rpm 8500

just sayen !

New points and condensers have the same issues as an other new part these days, poor quality. Put new points in my 51 2 years ago, I have maybe 1000 miles on it and the rubbing block is worn out already. NOS is where it's at because it isn't going to get better and since no new car has come with points in a long time no one is going to step up to build quality stuff.

the set in this car has less that 1k miles on it same S💩
To answer previous questions in order
1. Pooboy : When you say new kit, Are you referring to NOS or the current offerings? The only one I'm fining is Proform and my experience with their electrical components. It was so bad anytime a car came in with one of their HEI's we ALWAYS changed the modules out (Long story for an
other day). I wouldn't be so concerned about Proforms offerings except for the control box. From what I've read it's hard to find a reliable one.
Please comment if anyone knows otherwise And yes currently a single point dist.
2. MoreParts: May wind up going that way and buy an extra module
3. Cab: Being in the rust belt the chances of finding anything are next to zilch. Not to mention who pays for the time to go look? I do have a butt load of parts for both points and electronic but I believe most are small block. Actually thought about trying to mix and match putting soemthig together but there's that time factor again
4. CalRob: See Snipers and my response at the beginning of this response. I also have a Sun 504 distributor machine. wink
5. B1maxx See number 3 and then there's the control box issues that concerns me
6. Dragon slayer: being a 383, the distributor is a bit harder to come by quickly, I have plenty of OEM cams, pickup coils, and a New harness.
The issue is time and a reliable ECU.
7. Sniper: thanks beer they both look like petronix units. However they show the rotor and magnetic ring separate. That would make me a bit warmer and fuzzier as years ago I learned caps and rotors from different sources were not always compatible.
thanks to all for the responses, after many years of contributing, I am now getting help from others beer
If there are more comments. suggestions, experiences, Please feel free to add them
thanks again beer