Originally Posted by Streetwize
The best bet would be something like an RV cam that will give you a good cruise and great throttle response,

You're not going to be revving it high so something that's around 212I/218E @.050 on 108 in at 104 would certainly make a 318 a bit more snappy,

the '302 heart shaped chamber heads from a late 80's 318 with a little clean-up work in the bowls and a nice valve job would make a big improvement in torque, even with a stock-ish cam,

Even if you do go 3.55 or 3.73 gears you're not going to do a whole lot better than a cam in that range, IMO it's better to slightly undercam a 318 than to overcam it.

Thanks for the input Wize. I notice a lot of the 318 cams with smaller duration seem to have wider LSA's on them, but I had a tight LSA cam in one of my 360 combos that was installed at 104 or 102 (cant remember) and it really helped with bottom end. I know this engine is going to be 6000 MAX, probably well below that, before its tapping out.

Because of the budget, heads are off the table right now, otherwise I would go straight for some aluminums and some thin head gaskets to help compression. My budget currently only allows for a cam and lifters, headers, and intake while utilizing the eddy carb I already have.

Do you have any 318 grinds that you have used that you prefer, like specific part numbers?