This isn't really a race engine, but I trust the experience of those who have made horsepower to help me out with this.

Engine is a 1978 318, completely stock. It will be propelling a cruiser, just a fun street car. Super budget build with all used parts- It will get headers, x pipe exhaust, an intake (weiand action +), carb (edelbrock), stock distributor with msd 6 box (hopefully I can run locked out timing) and a cam just to add some fun for the light to light passes grin. Car has power brakes and a/c, so the cam needs be something that will maintain enough vacuum for those accessories, while also working with stock rockers (valvespring upgrade is fine too if needed, but if it uses stock springs and pushrods even better).

What cam would you recommend? I am personally thinking something with appropriate duration (215-220 at 0.50") for the cubic inches, lift somewhere in the sub .500" range, and LSA as tight as possible to help cylinder pressure. Again, running on a budget, I can always advance a cam to help with the latter if the price is better and the LSA isn't totally ideal, and I am totally fine with solid flat tappets as well as hydraulic.

The rest of the car is currently a peg leg 2.76 rear, but looking to swap in some 3.55's or 3.73's and a 3000 stall converter with a TF3 valve body in the 904.