No, I have not resolved this yet and thanks for the warning, I appreciate it and I do understand the danger.

I still do think that using the original wiring harness was the way to go but I'm sure starting to have seconded thoughts. I got a new pump that included the sender with no change so I checked all of the many ground splices that the Dakota uses. I did all the tests that the shop manual and most of the contradictory ones that the internet listed with results that seemed to change each time.

My next step would be buying a used dash fuel gauge not knowing if that is the problem and spending more money. This is on a running but not driving car and after wasting mega time, money and stress I decided yesterday to admit defeat, that I am in over my head, swallow my pride, and give up and move on by installing a aftermarket dash mounted fuel gauge and aftermarket sender.

One last test this morning, I ran a new ground wire from the sender to the gauge (printed circuit pin) and bypassed all the Dakota grounds. The gauge went to full like when ground testing the sender circuit and I now have no ignition circuit.

I think my car has turned into ... CHRISTINE !

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Old Ray; 04/09/23 04:03 PM.