So in a attempt to do plug and play on my '56 Plodge two door wagon with Dakota front frame and fuel injection engine I used the Dakota dash gauge panel. The engine runs and the gauges seem to work except for the fuel gauge. Bit of the back story here, the Dakota tank was too wide but I found a Jeep plastic tank that fit just right and it used the same type of fuel pump as the Dakota. All wiring was moved over from the Dakota and extended where necessary.

I have a shop manual but I am so old school that if you can't fix it with a test light I'm hooped. If I ground the tank wire that goes to the gauge from the tank the gauge goes to full so does that mean that the gauge is OK? I have over a month into this and in attempt to make sure there was nothing in the tank interfering with the float, if I bench tested it in the back of the wagon OUT of the tank it worked fine, empty, half or full by manually moving the float arm on the sending unit. In frustration I ordered a new pump that came with the sender and the gauge still sits on empty. I don't know if the donor truck was like this, I just drove it into the shop. I checked the ground wires many times.

HELP ! mad