I became a big fan of Richard Petty in 1962 when he drafted his Plymouth to second place behind a much faster Fireball Roberts/Yunick Pontiac.at the Daytona 500. When Petty won his first Daytona 500 on February 23, 1964, I had snuck into the winner's circle. My dad had taught me, just act like you belong there, it's worked for the rest of my life LOL. So, the attached B/W Polaroid is from that WC celebration, front and center no less. When Richard left to head up to the Grandstand for more formal interviews, I ran up to him to shake his hand in congratulations, he was very gracious and obliged me. But it was an experience I never forgot, by the winning driver I believe at that time 4,000lb car non power steering driver had just driven 500 miles to victory.

Today I'm at my home track of Sebring for SVRA/SCCA TA road racing. I'm in the paddock checking out the cars up close. I see off to the side an unmistakable Richard Petty silhouette. Picture attached. His nephew or grandkid is racing in TA today, I have never seen Richard at Sebring in my entire life. I say what the heck, I need to shake his hand one more time, so I do. The man is in his mid 80's, he looks grea,t seems just like Richard, and nice as can be,

As I walk away, I am shocked, his hands as are just as soft as they were, exactly 59 years and 2 days ago, and I am as happy as a 10-year-old in the winner's circle.

Anyone know who the gentleman seated on the back of golf cart is, please share, he looks familiar, Dale?

img428 1964.jpgIMG_0413 Richard Petty.JPG

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.