"In May 2021 Hot Rod they had an article about E-Turbos that I found interesting. Basically, it is a modified turbocharger with an electric motor that also can use the exhaust energy to charge a battery. If I understand the technology correctly, the electric motor will spool the turbo faster but during normal driving use the waste exhaust energy to recharge a battery.

For max acceleration the car can not only use the ICE power but also the electric motors. During normal driving using the motor, it can charge the battery for the electric motors. Garrett and Borg Warner are both working on these for both 12v and 48v systems.

Lots of new technology surrounding this including high speed motors and controls. It appears this will be first used in hybrid cars but F1 Racing has played with it and I can see the technology spilling over into drag cars
."

www.garrettmotion.com/electric-hybrid/garrett-e-turbo

eBooster® Electrically Driven Compressor

BorgWarner’s eBooster® electrically driven compressor supplements conventional turbocharging systems. Placed either upstream or downstream of the regular turbocharger, the eBooster solution improves boost pressure and transient engine response at low engine speeds. In doing so, the technology virtually eliminates turbo lag.

The eBooster® permits the development of small and efficient high-performance turbocharged engines whose dynamic response matches that of large non-supercharged engines of the same output class. The superiority of the eBooster® was impressively demonstrated in close cooperation with various customers for gasoline engines as well as for diesel engines.

www.borgwarner.com/technologies/electric-boosting-technologies

Master, again and still