Originally Posted by dragon slayer
I have been told by some old timers and have actually met some one who stamped blocks to match car vins; that even casting date could be changed. Looking at that 67 block the casting date is raised almost as if on a pad compared to many of the other examples. Almost looks like a welding across the top. I am no hemi casting expert but it does look different and someone did have it repaired at one point. confused

I see no major issue with the casting date area , to modify that area and it to still look as cast would be very difficult to do. I am sure blocks have been modified, I have seen several poor attempts at stamping vins to match cars, and most really are obvious. That said could someone modify one, I am sure that could be done, but might be harder to cover up with no paint on the block. I mentioned in the original post on the block that I thought it was more of an exception considering that the idea was they were supposed to have not cast any blocks in 67. I have looked at a ton of hemi blocks over the years either in person or online, and i can say i have never seen another block cast in 67. Before this I would have said the last batch of 66 blocks were cast on 10-31-66 and the next batch of hemi blocks were done on 1-15-68.
Matt