Ok, long past time for an update. Took more than a while to get to this, but here's what I found. Pulled the pan and the pickup was beat up, crooked corresponding to the dent in the bottom of the (non-original) pan,and had some junk on the screen. Glad I didn't just put a HV oil pump on and cross my fingers, but now suspicious of what else I'd find. Dropped the windage tray and planned to Plastigauge some bearings. I'd heard that #7 rod bearing was a common failure (less oil at the rear of the engine?) so I pulled the cap. Bearing pitted and scored, crank scored enough that it catches on my fingernail. Bummer. Took the Plastigauge back to the parts store. It's gotta come out, now it's a much bigger project. Oh well, I'm disappointed but not surprised. This car has a race history and then sat for 27 years before seeing the light of day again. This is the price for super low miles- neglect is worse than use.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in, once I get it out and pick a machine shop/builder I'll let you know how it goes.

pan dent 2.jpgpickup2.jpg#7 rod bearing.jpg#7 journal.jpg