Many years ago Brother Inlaw had his Hemi Motor rebuilt from his 1969 RT Coronet. Put it in and never had good Oil Pressure. 35-40 max maybe 11 lbs idle. Tried a pump, tried a shim finally pulled the motor took off the pan, I wanted to see if the clearance between the PU and Pan and if it was too close and blocking oil to the pick up. It was fine. Took a look at the pan rail and saw the 1.5M on the rail. I said to him you got the parts list this builder used on the motor. He had put standard Bearings in the motor. The motor from the factory was all read down 1.5. The clearances on the mains were to great. Pulled a 1010 crank out of the garage and off to the builder and told him to pull a main cap and and start measuring. Yes the crank was down and he looked at us with a blank stare. Pulled the crank out and told him to find the sweet spot to putt the crank out and use the 1010 crank and new bearings and rod bolts. Motor has been together since the 80s with out a oil pressure problem. In my street motor that is about 612 HP on start up it read over 100 lbs cold. The race motor is over 100 lbs at RPM. I use 40 weight. So pro mod motors run 200+ lbs and have a 135 shut off but that is a completely different oil system. Stock pans are not big enough if you are going to use it hard. I never run hemi without a 10 or more quart pan on it unless it is some kind of trailer queen restoration.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY