Originally Posted by poorboy
Honestly, with the stuff you have already done, you may have gained about all you will get out of your van. You probably need to get it going and drive it a few months and get real gas mileage numbers.

You may gain better gas mileage by changing how you drive the van. I can get 2-3 mpg better mileage then my wife driving the same vehicle, she has a bigger lead foot then I do, and I don't drive for the best gas mileage. drive Want better gas mileage? Don't drive like I do.

The best investment you may make for getting better gas mileage is to buy and install a vacuum gauge, and never let the needle drop below 15 while your driving. Your van will probably get the best gas mileage at 55 mph, or maybe 60, or maybe 50! Any speed above that reduces the gas mileage most of the time, you have to find the speed the van likes to run. Driving for the best gas mileage is a learned art, and you have to be 100% dedicated to it, one slip up can kill the mileage for the whole tank full. Gene

I think you may be right... I still need to take my van for a drive to get a real sense of it's fuel usage... I've only been doing circles on my property... The last time I took it on a drive was when the shaft fell off on the freeway and then wouldnt start up and had to get it towed...

I use to get up to 10 mpg and after everything I've done with the carb and tranny I would expect at least a 1mpg increase! The carb had no check weight and larger jets, since then I replaced the jet's with smaller ones and the check weight has a large role to play in fuel usage I would assume...
Is the assumption that having the check weight in the carb saves more gas than not having it correct?