I run Milodon billet oil pumps. In my experience you can't fit these with the same torque settings as the iron ones (bolts to block), they will bind. If my memory serves me correctly, we torque ours to some thing ridiculous like 15 inch/pounds (yep INCH/pounds). Needless to say we always use some sort of studlock on the bolt threads. I don't know what the manufacturers recommended torque settings are, I tried to find them online but haven't been able to. Previous to all this, a buddy of mine had the same issue, he had problems priming the oil on a rebuilt motor and warned us about this.
I've also tried gently snugging the pump up when the motor was on the stand and winding the pump with a priming shaft by hand. It doesn't take a lot of torque to put these pumps into bind. I have them on two engines, fitted with a gasket to block and it's the same with both pumps. I have had no issues otherwise, they work fine.

Milodon or ANY aluminum pump cover - you're going to have issues if you use stock torque specs. To get my pump to spin freely with an aluminum cover the bolt torque is so low it makes me nervous that the bolts will fall out or that the pump will leak like a sieve. And I have no choice because of external oiling! I haven't done it yet but my intention is to drill and safety wire the bolts.

What you see in the photo is a thick cover made by Muscle Motors. Thickness didn't matter, it would bind with stock torque. retry with a stock iron cover ... no problem. Put this one back on ... it binds.

IMG_1178 (2019_05_01 16_39_04 UTC).JPG
Last edited by Stanton; 10/17/21 11:46 AM.