Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by AndyF
My Doug Nash is very clunky. Shifts like a tractor.

Thank you. Always appreciate your input and help.

What shifter mechanism do you have?

I have a Long Shifter that came with the Richmond I got. Does that make any difference?

Or is that the shifter everyone uses?

I got mine in a parts deal and it’s all still new in the box.

I have the Hurst shifter with mine.
I've known other guys with Doug Nash (or Richmond) 5 speeds that also say they are very clunky. From what I've heard the issue is that Doug Nash used synchros that were too small for the weight of the 5 speed main cluster. Evidently there are people who now know how to fix that problem but I've never tried to have mine fixed.
I do have a buddy who got rid of his Richmond 5 speed and replaced it with a T56 based 6 speed and he says the difference in shifting is amazing. He used to tell me that his Richmond shifted okay but now he knows that it didn't. He was just used to it.
I don't know if Richmond ever fixed the clunky shifting design that they inherited from Doug Nash. I doubt that they would tell you on the phone so a person would need to speak to an independent transmission expert. The little bit of research I did on the subject in the past led me to believer that Richmond never really fixed the issue.