I spent 20+ years working in an industry where the power going out just wasn't an option so my perspectives are a bit skewed. Standard setup was 1 or more huge Cat 16 cyl diesel generators with big battery banks to feed the inverters after utility cuts off while waiting for the gen to spin up. Includes big enough underground tank to run the thing for a few days at minimum and the biggest issue was treating the fuel to survive sitting in the tank until needed.

A scaled down set up was high on my list when I bought my first house and 20+ years later, still on the list. Shopped the Generac whole house units and discovered NG only and don't have that this far out in the sticks. Revisited later and saw versions that can run on pump gas but the MPG was horrible. Haven't looked in to availability of propane fed units but I'm thinking swapping out NG for propane should be fairly simple. I think a standard issue fork lift tank (33 lbs cap) should probably keep it up for at least 8 hours.

Have had enough 12 hour outages that it would be "nice to have" but local grid maintenance has improved up time and shortened black outs. The only time it would have been "worth the investment" is when Sandy rolled through and the place went dark for 3 days. Rode that out living in front of the wood fire place, not flushing toilets and fortunately had a stash of cold cuts. I think if I was in TX this week I'd drain the pipes and bug out for a hotel in OK.

Some interesting options here but haven't looked at final sale prices:

https://www.govplanet.com/Generator+Sets