I had a Cherokee Trailhawk this week as a loaner car. I liked the looks of it but man did it suck to drive. Having the climate control system a weird hybrid of half linked into the infotainment system and half manual buttons was irritating. Maybe I'm just too used to driving stick where when you push the pedal the vehicle responds but the lag time on the transmission in that Jeep was the same as the beater 2006 F150 shop truck I use at work. I'm used to driving a 4cyl crossover SUV and the trailhawk with the v6 felt equally gutless.

I don't get the Subaru love. I've had a couple. Mediocre reliability and longevity. Poor fuel mileage for the size of vehicle. Their main redeeming feature was I could buy ones in need of a mechanical or body repair and fix and flip for a good profit to the people who pay outrageous prices for those vehicles.

Honda and Toyota are great for resale value. If you're buying new or almost new I would go that way just because their longevity and reliability is so good and resale is so good. Not to mention if your car ever gets written off like mine did you actually get something for it versus something else that resale value drops like a stone. But because the resale value is so high on them I have a hard time buying them used. After my Honda was written off I bought a Kia with those funds and I have been largely satisfied with however the longevity is definitely not what the Honda was. I'm seeing wear on suspension components that would have taken a Honda another 60-80k miles to get to that point. I drive a lot of rough roads so front and rear suspensions are usually where I first start to see problems. In addition to interiors turning into rattle traps which is happening with the Kia but never happened with the Hondas.

IMO all the options now suck. I'm restoring an older Jeep that I plan to rust proof the hell out of and drive because I'm feeling done with all the newer junk.