To the OP-- I've owned several variants of the jeep cherokee. I had a 2012 Overland that was plagued with problems ( yes, electrical, lots of documented cases- shutting off while driving) and almost forced me out of the Grand Cherokee market until I got an SRT. They are great driving and very comfortable especially on those longer hauls. Lots of room and with good tires, it will raise your poor weather driving confidence if you lack in that area. As for subarus, I had one for a brief period of time as a company vehicle ( 2016 outback), I was religious about its upkeep, and put 32000 miles on it- in 8 months. It already had 91000 miles on it. They are surprisingly agile and capable, the little 4 cylinders will not only please you with good gas mileage, but in naturally aspirated form, they have some guts to 'em. They are not expensive to maintain at all, quite the opposite. I would steer clear of gm products. Ford products just seem so sterile and cheap to me( my opinion based on my experiences, yes I do have a Ford for a company vehicle as is the rest of the fleet) but they've proven reliable with scheduled maintenance also.