Originally Posted by DrCharles
The plot thickens...

I heard back from the original shop.

I have looked up your invoice to see what all work we did for you. The invoice and paperwork does not show anything about us installing perches on the rear end. We only removed your old perches.
I'm not sure who welded the perches on your housing but we have no record of doing it.
I have attached all paperwork including the note you sent with the housing about what you needed done. Please see the attachments!

I have the same invoices, having saved every receipt for 22 years. Nothing showing any welding/moving perches, and it only makes sense that if the housing were being narrowed, back-braced, ends cut off and rewelded for alignment, that I'd have had them do the perches then! Very strange work

Anyhow the local fab shop removed both, cleaned them up and re-welded them (securely) and I hung it back under the Dart. Next week the chunk will return and I'll reinstall the axles. Hopefully everything will just slide in scope

IMO, a giveaway would be if any of the paperwork shows an specific (vs say Narrow "X" inches) dim for the housing. If so they also would likely incldue a specific dim for the ctr to ctr perch location. If the Perch dim is not on an invoice that had a new housing dim, I would lean towards the feeling your original vendor did not reattach the perches, some one else did.
I have in the past welded up a housing, and left the perches off, in order to test fit and to get the perch exact dim/location and angle, and then welded them later, so two welders involved in your saga is possible as I see it. First vendor might need an internet "nevermind".

edir: on further reflection, ttis new info might explain a lot, for instance, why the perches were not prepped (45Deg chamber), that the weld was done on the car, over head, out of position, and restricted access, the weld area might have been contaminated by paint/rust, all items a pro welder would have resisted, and a novice would not.

Last edited by jcc; 01/08/20 02:35 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.