Originally Posted by DoctorDiff
My friend tore the spring perches off his '85 W-150 while doing a burn out. The pinion spun straight up and separated the driveshaft at the slip joint. The OEM welds did not penetrate the tubes. I'm surprised it didn't happen years earlier.

Whatever Dr D says concerning anything automotive is gospel for me. A real gentleman.
He helped me when everyone couldn't
The weld as posted if you notice did not penetrate the edges of the perch. That edge should not be visible as the weld should have penetrated it.
A common mistake of beginers is not "catching" what your welding. In the case of theses perches in addition to being way to cold which results in no penetration, whoever welded theses perches just played down a bead next to the perch. He had almost no weld on the perch which shows me he wasn't watching what he was doing.
Ive told so many guys to catch both parts. Even if the person who welded this was inexperienced if he or she had the amperage turned up and caught the perches, the weld most likely would have held.
Anything welded on any vehicle driven on roadways has to be properly done, this thread is a perfect example of this.
While im no Mopar expert, I am a journeyman union Boilermaker or was as im retired now