I've added a drain plug to the pan a few fluid changes ago.

At this point, my concern is that if the water that got into the trans has killed the glue holding the band lining material to the band, the lining on the clutch discs can't be far behind. I just don't see any other reason the band lining material would have come off the band in such big pieces. The most abuse this trans has seen since its been in this truck was to have the throttle floored a few times with it in drive. To buy a band to cobble into place (if I can even get a new one into it) then have the linings on all the clutch plates fall off has too much chance of being a real possibility at this time. This trans has been pretty unforgiving up to now. I think I just need to step up and get it rebuilt or replace it.

The reason I dropped the pan was to replace the governor pressure switch and the transducer, the pieces of band lining material laying in the bottom of the pan was an added bonus I really didn't want to see. I suspect there may be 200 miles (maybe 3 weeks or a month) since the pan was off the last time. The best price on ATF +4 I can get around here will cost me $50 just to refill the trans. The cheap generic stuff is about 1/2 that much. I've installed the pressure switch and the transducer, I think I'm putting the cheap fluid in it so I can move it around the yard until next spring when maybe I'll have a better attitude about it. At this point, I just want it out of my garage! Gene