The trans in my hot rod pickup has had a pretty rough life in its short time (about 500 miles spread out over a couple of months).
It started off with water in the trans. We assume the water got into the torque converter between the time it was pulled from my son's car and got installed in my truck. 2 power flushes, and two rounds of dropping the pan, changing the filter, and adding Trans X after a 30 minute run and finally the fluid was (and is) clean.
Then I had an issue with seals leaking, which have been solved.
Then I can't feel it shift so I had my buddy put the truck on his scan tool. Governor pressure was at 106 lbs. I just dropped the pan to install the new governor pressure switch and the transducer. The fluid looked great, the bottom of the pan is pretty clean, except for the pieces in the pictures. The material looks to me like it is clutch material, but the edges show no curve, both edges are parallel and the pieces are about a 1/2" wide between the straight edges. It appears to have originally been straight line pieces, nothing like I've never seen in an auto trans before. Laid out in one line, it could have been 12" long, or more then one piece at least 2 1/2" long (the longest piece is 2"), none of the pieces have a straight edge on either end. From a side view the pieces are about 1/16" thick. The longest piece has a slight curve when viewed from the side. One surface is shinny smooth and the other surface is slightly rough (like one would expect from an auto trans clutch disc).

The last picture shows the back side (smooth side) of the biggest piece. You can see the imprint of something round in bedded in the material. Three of the other smaller pieces also show this round mark, but it is not as pronounced.

The "O" ring is from the trans dipstick, ignore it a new seal has been installed.

I'm not expecting any good news, but I would like to have an idea what this material is and where it may have come from. Thanks Gene

P1010083.JPGP1010084.JPGP1010085.JPGP1010086.JPG
Last edited by poorboy; 07/05/19 08:34 PM.