Originally Posted By moparjack44
I am running 2 500 CFM Edelbrock carbs on my 1st Gen 392 Hemi. They are running so rich, they are eating up spark plugs like they were pop corn.
A mechanic friend of mine says nothing can be done, it's the natuer of running 2 4's. I don't want to accept that. Any suggestions to improve, or eliminate this situation?

I have no idea what your mechanic friend is talking about. Carbs are fairly simple devices. They just use small holes to meter fuel and air. If your carbs are too rich then you make the fuel holes smaller and/or the air holes larger. You have idle, cruise, power and acceleration circuit adjustments on those carbs.

Idle should be easy to adjust since you just screw in the adjusters. Cruise and power adjustments require changes to the jets and/or the metering rods.

1:1 throttle adjustment should work okay with those carbs. Maybe not quite as nice as a good progressive setup but 1:1 isn't the reason you are rich.

If all of this is over your head (and obviously too complex for your mechanic friend) then find a local chassis dyno shop where the operator knows Edelbrock carbs. It will take a good Edelbrock guy about 2 hours to chassis dyno tune a dual quad setup and he'll probably charge you $300.