Originally Posted By moparjack44
Originally Posted By Skeptic
Both carbs HAVE to be synced or you will never get them to work right. It take patience and a bit of trial and error to get right. This Guide will help you and save me from typing it all out. Running rich is bad and your buddy should feel bad for that mistaken advise. Having one carb rich and another lean is worse. A broadband a/f gauge is a very good tool, but you should be able to get close without one. YouTube has vids to help out as well. HTH, Steve

Tried your "This Guide". Could defiently tell a difference, but still seems a little rich. Raining here, so I didn't test drive it yet. Probably needs more fine tuning. Patience may be my greatest weakness frown.
One thing to check is to make sure the metering rods are all the way down at idle, it they are bouncing or not fully depressed, it will throw off your A/F. It's easy to check, just loosen the caps and rotate them enough to see the rod- do one on each carb, all 4 to be through. Then start it up and see. If the springs are too stiff for the idle vacuum of your engine, you will need to replace them. If all 4 are good, then just move on from there. I'd suggest fresh plugs-or sandblast cleaning and re-gapping the old ones and giving it the old Italian tuneup and see how it goes. Remember timing needs to be set right first, then idle speed, then mixtures. If you've got vacuum leaks or the throttle shafts are worn or binding, it all needs to be fixed first. I'm not trying to talk down to you, so if it seems too basic, it's not an insult. I just don't know your background or anything about the car you are working on. If you've got an aggressive cam in it shoot for 1000/1200 rpm at idle, as long as it isn't dripping fuel from the venturis and the mixture screws are able to affect the engine speed. You've got the basic balance taken care of so after blowing the carbon out drive get the idle mixture set and go from there. It may be worth your time and money to get it on a chassis dyno to get it tuned. HTH, Steve