Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By Roughbird72
Many stock 440 cranks have had .125 taken off the mains to install in 400 blocks and taken a beating.
I'm not sure another .010-.020 would make that big of a difference from where you're at now. twocents

That makes sense to me. Wonder why for decades a .010-.030 turned crank was so frowned on.

Because back in the day, like before my time most likely the mid 70's at the latest undersized bearings all had the same shell thickness and the overlay was made thicker to get the next undersize. As the overlay became thicker (I've heard it was anything more than .020 under) it would start to migrate and then flake off. It became worse as the undersize was more and the HP/RPM went up.

Now, they all use different shell thicknesses and they use the same thin overlay.

Grind it down to small block Chevy large journal if you want. Makes bearing choice much easier. I did that on every Chrysler crank I did. The customer would [censored] like crazy until rebuild time came. No one wanted to grind a new crank, but I did it anyway.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston