I have been running a basically stock 727 and 8-3/4 behind my 493 since 2011 with no issue at all yet. I built the 727 using mostly all Mopar parts other then the bolt in sprag and Turbo Action reverse manual valve body. I did a few other minor tricks to it but all the clutches and steels are stock Mopar parts for the 727. My 8-3/4 rear is all stock other then the Detroit locker I put in it when my factory spider and axle gears broke a few teeth. But you have to be smart on how you use the car. I race my car about once a year and sometimes twice a year at the most. I use a Dynamic 9.5 street/strip type converter and it works great on the street and the track for a mild street/strip car.

I run a 30 x 9 Hoosier radial slick on the street and track. But I don't street race at all and rarely do burnouts on the street as I basically drive it normal when cruising on the street. Besides when I do a burnout on the street all the rocks then stick to the tires for a bit until they cool off and that's a pain in the butt. I do drive the 45 miles to my local track and race it as I usually put at least three passes on it and sometimes more if I win some rounds in the NSS class.

All in all I drive it easy and normal on the street and leave my burnouts and full throttle launches to the track. And my 727 and 8-3/4 rear have been holding up fine for 7 years and still going strong. I do want to put a Dana in it one day when I can afford to buy one so I have one less worry when I go racing. But if you drive the car normal on the street your trans and rear should hold up fine. If you drive it like you are racing at every redlite on the street then I would worry about it. Just drive it easy on the street and you will be fine for cruising as long as you want. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 12/31/18 07:23 AM.