Setting up gears is basically all the same no matter which axle. If you set up 2 sets of gears when you do a Dana the first time, the time to swap is nearly identical to swapping a Ford center section. Though much cheaper (gear set, bearings, spool vs an entire center section). Don't get me wrong the 9" has its place, as does a turbo 400. But for most of the stuff we race, not needed. Heck my 9.0/3350 lb car made 425 passes on a Motive street gear, The Chinese gear was not so good. I would recommend Motive or original Dana/Spicer. This time I'll move up to a pro gear. The stock 9" stuff is 8 3/4 strength at best. Price the good 9"stuff vs junkyard Dana. I don't care care who built the original design. I'm about function vs cost. Dana pro gear, Strange lightweight spool, Strange axles, yoke, housing ends, bearings under $1200. Granted no labor. The Strange pro iron 9" case with pro gear is $1450. That doesn't include axles, axle bearings, studs, or housing ends. Not to mention a junkyard 9" housing is a turd where the junkyard Dana housing will take 1000 Hp easy. Tell me again why a 9" is a better choice. Ya if your at 1500+ then yes spend the cash. But how many of us are there? Not me.
Doug