The problem is the rust. To make a permanent repair you have to totally remove the rust.

There are 3 ways I would repair the metal. The first two are driveway capable with little or no body experience. Paint is another matter altogether.

1. If you can get to the back of the panel to grind/blast out the rust I have used JB weld to repair smaller rust holes and 30 years of hard weather later the repair is still fine. once all the rust is removed, dimple the rust holes on the front to make an area for the JB Weld to hold onto and coat the front and back of the panel with JB Weld. I like JB Weld for pin holes since it doesn't absorb water like many "bondo" type products will and it is stronger than bondo too. It does like to run in warm weather so masking tape holds it in place. For larger areas "bigger than a 1/4 inch or so" can use a simple patch on the back for reinforcement.

2. If you can't get to the back of the panel then you will need to cut it out from the front. If it is small enough you can rough shape a repair patch to go behind the hole left by the removed metal. Then Weld/Epoxy/glue the patch in place and finish with minimal bondo for the surface. Again good for a few inches not a foot or two. Larger areas start to require fabricating contours that make the work to finish, more than the time to replace the quarter.

Not always a driveway repair is type 3.

3. If it is too large then some body experience is needed to replace the quarter panel or build a patch panel from a good quarter. It will then need to be bonded/welded in place.

Paint is always a matter of skill and a good paint booth. The paint booth is something the average person doesn't have.