I've had dedicated circle track cars, dedicated drag cars, dual purpose street/strip cars and street handling cars. They all come with their own quirks when used in their specific environment or on street type applications. I have noticed that the handling cars were actually the most consistent at the drag strip. They weren't the quickest or fastest, but were consistent. If you are bracket racing, this is a much more desirable attribute than an ultimate e.t. or m.p.h.

Case in point is a stock eliminator style build I had with a 360, high stall convertor and steep gears. Ran low to mid 12s @110 in Denver. It had light t-bars, no sway bars, drag shocks and a highly sorted SS spring set. Went straight as an arrow with the front tires just skimming the surface off the line, but wallowed like a drunk around corners and was subject to e.t. changes based on atmospheric conditions.

After running this combo for a couple of years, I pulled the engine and trans and dropped them into a purpose built handling car with big t-bars, big sway bars, high pressure shocks and wide tires all around. Same engine, convertor and trans. This car with the exact same powertrain combo as the drag car ran consistent 13.2 @110 run after run after run. It wasn't impressive to look at as it left the line and it hardly moved around as it went down the track. I only gave up a second in e.t., but the consistency of it was phenomenal.

After playing around in various types of cars over the years, all my street cars are all built towards handling now days. They are simply more fun wherever you drive them. If I ever go back to drag racing, it won't be in a door car any more.