On a 340 with a 727 TF, how much clearance should the end of the pilot on the torque converter have to the bottom of the pilot hole in the torque converter? Pulled the trans for rebuild and noticed the old converter showed that it was in contact with the bottom of the crank pilot hole. Chalked it up to bad tolerances. Now getting ready to put new converter in with rebuild 727. Pre-fitting the converter and it seems like the converter pilot bottoms out in the crank and there is space between the converter and the flex plate. Hard to tell in the car but looks like at least 1/16" clearance. Took some rough measurements and it is at least flush, if not bottomed out. That doesn't seem right. I would think that the converter would contact the flexplate before the pilot bottoms out in the crank.

I'm going to pull the flex plate and check it to the converter but wanted to ask what the clearance should be before I got into it.

Motor is internally balanced 1971 block. Trans is from a 1973 car and it had an externally balanced converter, which is incorrect for this motor. New converter has no weights. I got the car like this and it's not the first screw up I've found. Seems like the flex plate is incorrect but I can't figure out how.