Not a product bash by any means....... more of a “heads up” for whom it may concern.

The big Summit cam is a tried and true White Box cam in a 440......as well as other makes and families of engines.
One of my friends was freshening a 455 Pontiac for a customer of his, asked about a good off the shelf cam for the motor, and I suggested that same grind.
He got it, put it in...... motor ran decent enough with it.
Well, someone didn’t do a good enough job checking the condition of the rod bores and/or clearances, and within 50 miles it sounded like a rod bearing was failing.

Pulls it apart, sure enough a rod bearing is going away(not spun, but down to copper all the way around).

He gets to looking things over and is concerned with one of the cam lobes.
Says the corresponding lifter looks fine, but doesn’t like the lobe.
He brings it over for me to look at, sure enough that lobe has started to go.
It’s got about .010 or so missing off the nose.

I could’ve dismissed it as poor assembly or break in practices except for what I saw on the other 15 lobes.
The lifter wear track was right down the center of the lobe. This lead me to put the cam in the lathe and measure the lifter taper.
Indicating across the bearing journals showed basically zero movement, then checking 8-10 various lobes showed what I suspected by seeing the centered wear pattern....... less than .001 lobe taper.
Most performance cams have between .0015-.0020 lobe taper.
The reduced taper resulted in the lifters having contact basically at the center of the crown, which results in poor lifter rotation.

The other issue I found and didn’t care for was there was quite a bit of chatter all the way around the lobes........ with the wear pattern having a railroad track look to it.

I’ve used those cams in the past with pretty good results, but after seeing that....... I won’t anymore.

I got a custom Comp for that 455, a little bigger....... it had .002 lobe taper...... good lifter rotation...... no issues with that one.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads