Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
30 years or so as I was going thru the traps I glanced and saw my oil pressure drop. It was an old fashioned.030 over stock crank, stock rod, TRW pistons build that ran highs 9’s in the 1/4 mile. I loaded up and took it home that Sunday. I pulled the oil pan on my open car trailer at home to take a peek. As I started with number one main I pulled the cap and the bearing looked great and left the cap off. Number two was fair and when I pulled the thrust cap I thought I saw something move. Well I did as the crank was busted in half. I pulled the engine on Monday and tore into it changing the crank and bearings. With two friends taking care of the rods I lowered a fresh crank in, finished it up, and raced that Friday. Man I wish I could work like that now. This was evening work as I worked 8-4 in the steel mill.

I had this happen to a 340, i had made a pass and when I got my helmet off at the ET shack I though the car in front of me was knocking. It was then I noticed my oil pressure gauge bouncing. The car sounded like someone was beating on a frying pan with a spoon. I said this to my friends "oh well it was due to be freshened up anyways as long as its not the crank it will be OK". Took it apart that night and the only thing broken.....the crank! If I had another crank we could have made it back out for the midnight drags.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340