Originally Posted By GTX MATT
Originally Posted By BSB67
Originally Posted By GTX MATT

but that trap speed started gaining with more gear. I've seen tests with lower trap speeds, but honestly there doesn't seem to be that many. 98 MPH for a 440 4 barrel with 3.23s seems to be about par for the course.

Everything else being equal, gear won't really change trap speed much. Maybe 0.5 mph, and it could go down.

I'd agree it won't change MUCH but maybe 1-2 MPH in some cases, and you can definitely have too much and slow down.

This article kind of shows that off pretty well, not huge gains from the gears, and 4.30s slowed the 440 car down (trap speed) until they put some taller tires on.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/A...num_440_1-7.pdf

Look at pass 2 to pass 3, both cars. There is your comparison. Both cars picked up in the last pass. Money says a better cool down and better air is the reason. Maybe better driving too.

I've done this many times. Watched others do it. Raced against the same guys all the time that tried it (this is very interesting). The outcome was always the same. If there is any difference, it is likely because of some other factor.